We think you might be interested in this show taking place at Contact (our collaborators for SSS2013 and SSS2014) from 29-30 November 2013
BRYONY KIMMINGS: CREDIBLE LIKABLE SUPERSTAR ROLE MODEL
In an audacious and provocative protest against the world’s flagrant attempts to sexualise and commodify childhood, the award-winning performance artist Kimmings and her 9-year-old niece Taylor decided to take on the global tween machine at its own game. They invented Catherine Bennett, a dinosaur-loving, bike-riding, tuna-pasta-eating pop star, and vowed to make her world famous to prove that an alternative was possible!
Bryony became Catherine Bennett and Taylor her manager. So far they’ve been invited to parliament, become friends with Yoko Ono and featured on BBC Radio 4 Woman’s Hour.
Credible Likeable Superstar Role Model is Taylor’s andBryony’s theatre show. It is not for kids. Instead it tackles the issues at the very core of their project head on. It is set in a fantasy land far from our own, where lines are drawn in the sand, girls become knights, eyeballs are gouged, wars are waged and people sell their souls.
It is a tale of hopeless protection, blind fury, 9-year-old brains and taking on the world with your family. In typically screwball and humorous fashion, Kimmings, the creator of acclaimed shows Sex Idiot and 7 Day Drunk, begs the question: what does it really take to be a Credible Likeable Superstar Role Model for a child of the 21st century?
- WINNER: FRINGE FIRST AWARD 2013
- WINNER: FRINGE REVIEW OUTSTANDING THEATRE AWARD 2013
- WINNER: ARCHES BRICK AWARD 2013
- WINNER: THREE WEEKS EDITORS AWARD 2013
- ‘A work of almost staggering warmth and fragility’ ★★★★★ – The Scotsman
- ‘A bold, brilliant show’ ★★★★★ – The Independent
- ‘hilarious, heartbreaking, troubling and inspirational. Kick-ass in all the right ways.’ ★★★★★ – Time Out
- ★★★★★ – Exeunt Magazine
- ‘Cool, funny and heart warming. Infectiously optimistic’ ★★★★ – The Guardian
- ‘a bold, unflinching, wryly funny show’ ★★★★ – Metro